As you’ve seen in many of my videos and posts, I’m a sucker for box braids. There is something that is so easy and versatile with box braids that I love. They allow you to create so many styles, while keeping your hair in a protective style. While styling can be fun, you definitely need to check out my Ride Or Die Hair Tools for Braids!
These tools and products are my staples for when I have my hair braided because I know that they work and they work well. When braids are cared for, you can wear them up to 3 months. I wouldn’t recommend going any longer than this and I personally usually take my hair down around the 2 month period, but I’ve had my hair braided for longer periods and these products helped to keep them looking fresh with little to no frizz.
If you are a braid wearer than you already know that frizz and new growth are not your friend when you have braids. But I can say with all honesty that using the products listed below helped me maintain healthy, moisturized hair that held a shine during the entire time that I had them in.
- Goodie Headbands and Elastic ties – These are a must have for all those that wear their braids in ponytails or buns. With the ouchless brands, you can style your hair in so many ways. Plus these are so inexpensive and you can pick them up at Target.
- Butterfly Clips – I love these for using styling and pulling my hair back out of my face. I would always wear them in the office, as I was able to wear my hair down and pull a few braids to the back to give me a more professional look. Check out the video below to see how I did it!
- Silk/Satin Scarf and Satin Lined Beanie – This should be a staple in every women’s night-time routine, unless you sleep on a satin pillow case. Using a satin scarf or satin-lined beanie protects your hair from dryness, frizz and helps to maintain your hairstyle. I can’t tell how long I’ve been wearing scarves to bed. As I kid, my mom use to make me put on a scarf to protect my style, but as an adult it means so much more now that I can see how sleeping on cotton really draws all the moisture out of your hair and can cause breakage.
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner – I picked up this conditioner on a whim and boy am I glad I found it. This conditioner not only kept my hair moisturized, soft, frizz-free and a with a great shine, but it also kept my scalp healthy. I did not experience any itchiness, dry or flaking while using this conditioner. Bonus point, my hair small amazing! I got compliments all the time whenever I sprayed my hair. I continue to use this conditioner without braids because it works so well. I was very happy to find this product and I think this is slowly becoming a staple product for me because I’m on my 2nd bottle.
- Be Kekoa Tamanu Oil – I can’t get enough of this oil. Not only as a sealer for when I moisturize but to keep my hair and scalp healthy. Tamanu Oil has so many healing properties and my hair loves it. The oil is not heavy, so it doesn’t weigh the hair down at all. I’ve also seen a growth since I started using this oil. I’m simply in love.
- Lotta Body Control Me Edge Gel – If you need to slay, I mean lay them edges, then you have to try Lotta Body. Not only did it lay these kinky edges but it gives my hair shine. With braids, the new growth and the edges start to show as your hair grows out but this Edge Control helped me to maintain a fresh look throughout the duration of me wearing my braids. I’ve also used this to lay my hair down for a ponytail and I was highly satisfied.
These are just a few of my Ride or Die Products, but I would love to hear from you!
What is your Ride or Die Products for when you have braids installed?